Wednesday 19 January 2011

Trims and things project goal: Knitting needle roll

I'm so happy that my first knitting needle roll is now complete :). I took lots of photos so you all could see the process.

I combined two patterns (links in my earlier post) to come up with something that fits my needle needs! Before you start remember to measure your longest needle. If you would like a closing flap (I decided against it), add 2 inches extra height on your largest fabric pieces (e.g. my 18" piece + 2 inches for flap).

The fabric pieces I used were the following sizes:
15" wide x 18" high - for interior lining, exterior and heavy duty interfacing (make sure the pattern goes the right way for inner and exterior fabrics)
15" wide x 7.5" high - for main pocket lining (in exterior fabric and interior fabric) and two panels of iron on interfacing
7"wide x 5" high - two in interior lining fabric for scissor, tape and wool needle pocket

I used a metre of ribbon because I really liked the way the ribbon looks layered up around the roll, but that is a personal choice. Beware: you will need to measure the length of ribbon given in the crochet roll pattern. Use the remaining ribbon to sew another tie at equal height in the 3" gap when you finally turn the project inside out to sew up the side. You can always cut your ribbon shorter when you have finished.

I decided to sew the two seams and the second piece of ribbon in the gap on the right by hand, instead of machine sewing around the edge of the whole roll. To be honest I wasn't sure my machine needle would take it with so many layers and the project looked lovely without topstitching around all edges. It really is a personal choice, go with what you want!













A couple of new things I learned from this project were how to use interfacing and how to baste stitch. Interfacing was suprisingly easy to sew through. I had no idea what a baste stitch was, but soon realised that it is a longer running stitch that allows you to hold your work in place before machine sewing. You can use the machine to baste stitch if you have that setting (I didn't). Baste stitch was really useful in holding the layers together, especially as there were so many, before finally sewing it all up and turning inside out.

If you have any questions about making the roll please comment below and I'll post more info.

Happy sewing!
Emma x

No comments:

Post a Comment