Thursday 24 May 2012

Trims and things project: Sew Serendipity Multi Fabric Skirt

9 months and many sewing weekends later, my Sew Serendipity skirt is now complete. I'm really pleased with the result. I have learned so many new sewing techniques from this project:
  • Sewing with ric rac
  • Creating a pocket
  • Sewing an invisible zip
  • Making ruffles
  • Finishing seams
  • Attaching a hook and eye

I definitely feel like the project was more difficult than the beginner patterns I have bought since, but I don't feel like it was an impossible task. It just took me a while to grasp each technique. Kay Whitt is great at breaking down the instructions with diagrams and illustrations. Anyone who has sewn US to UK or vice versa patterns will know there are subtle differences in phrases in the instructions. 

If there was one thing I could change about it I would take in the waistline a little more, it fits perfectly at the hip but is a little baggy around the waist. I didn't adjust it more than the instructions because I will wear tucked in or long tops with it this summer. Having said that, I'm really looking forward to showing it off!

I hope you like it.

Thanks for reading,
Emma x

The finished article!

Ruffled hem




Ruffled pocket edge



No comments:

Post a Comment